Sunday, March 22, 2009

1.  I took this picture using a setting on my camera that I can set to only show certain colors while everything else is black and white so I chose blue to bring out my eyes.  This pose is typical of my when doing self-portrait.  I've learned it is the most flattering for my facial features.  And with the use of my color detector I can bring the attention where I want it, the eyes.
2.  The center of the picture contains a face, a face torn in half by the values of light and shadow.  A small smile spreads across the girl creasing slightly around the mouth.  A hint of a neck can be seen at the bottom of the photo, giving a bust-like appearance to the composition.  On the bottom left, a sliver of background shines through the hair, carrying a blue tint, accentuating the eyes (a dominant feature in the piece).  A frame is created around the face with the dark shadows of hair.  And finally, the eyes.  A bluish-greenish tint to them, bringing the viewers eyes at their final resting place.
3.  The piece has a good balance of solid, bold line and implied lines.  Where the light hits, lines can be seen, while where the shadow overtakes, the idea of the rest of the photo is left up to the viewer.  The slight coloration in the eyes and the background give the composition a little bit different feel than the average black-n-white photo.  It gives a glimpse into the life we see everyday, a "Wizard of Oz" effect if you may.  With the combination of the lighting and the short view of the neck help to lead the viewer's eyes up the photo really well.
4.  The "Mona Lisa" smile on me leans to the idea that I-know-something-you-don't-know... that I have a "secret."  And while the smile leads one to believe I will divulge in my little secret, the eyes possess a stubbornness proving otherwise.  Only the right person will learn the ever-so-tempting hidden message.
5.  Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres uses subtle hints of light and dark to keep the image in a softer appearance; while my self-portrait is the epitome of the contrast of light and dark, creating a harsher effect.  But I believe just because I am a woman and possess womanly features, the picture softens some.  Also, with the combination of my expression and features in general, the picture leans more towards Ingres' projection of feminine beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment